Connect with me


Welcome!


I'm Jill, a 20 year old film and media student from Belfast, NI.

This is my corner of the internet to share my writing, creativity, designs and bits and bobs about my life that I hope will interest you.


Find Out More >>>>

Categories






Instagram

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Friday 13 September 2013

Queen's University open day!



* Image taken from Queen's University website.


Yesterday I went to visit Queen's University for the undergraduate open day. My lecturer let us take the morning off to go and see if we could have a look at some of the courses and the facilities offered.

I loved it! Yes, it is a really scary process, but as soon as I stepped into the Queen's Film Theatre (purpose built art-house cinema for class use) I knew that I wanted to be there.

I can't really afford to leave Belfast for University which is a shame as I would like the opportunity to maybe go overseas but it's just not possible. The next option for me is the University of Ulster,  however as I am wanting to do a Film Studies degree my campus would be in Coleraine, and even that would be a step too far in my budget range.


I think I'm also stuck in my ways in that I have always wanted to go to Queens even when I was in Primary School. It's just so scary knowing that here I am, ten years later ready to apply!

When we arrived at the gates of Queen's one thing was inevitable; bus loads of school pupils, and I literally mean bus loads - there could easily have been a couple of thousand people there in uniforms. I think myself and the 5 others I went with were the only ones not wearing a uniform which was weirdly intimating - yet I know that I'm at least 2-3 years older than them all.

On the lawn there was a marquee set up to house separate stalls providing information on each course. This was packed out and I was fighting between blazers and school bags to even get leaflets, which was disappointing as it meant it was rather difficult to actually talk to someone from the university.



Next up was over to the QFT for the Film Studies degree information talk - it was held in one of the screening rooms and the guy that gave the talk seemed really nice. He explained that it was a high demand course and gave an overview of what it would be like. It sounds very similar to the course I am studying at the minute, meaning I would have more experience than other students applying, particularly with the practical elements.

The talk lasted about 15-20 minutes but I got the general gist of the things I needed to know.

Following the talk I took a tour of the McClay library, wow! That building is incredible. Three floors of computers, millions of books and book shelves that move! Yes, move over folks, I'm going to Hogwarts.

* Image taken from Google

One of my favourite parts of the library was the C.S. Lewis room - there is a carpeted area with a giant wardrobe door that you step through to enter a sound proof room for studying. Providing art work, books and a general C.S. Lewis theme. Impressive to say the least!



Overall, I spent my morning imagining myself studying there and I could see it happening. The next step now is simply applying through UCAS.

As I go through my process I will be posting hints and tips on getting the best out of my personal statement and anything that will help your application stand out, watch this space!



Much love,


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...