Connect with me


Welcome!


I'm Jill, a 20 year old film and media student from Belfast, NI.

This is my corner of the internet to share my writing, creativity, designs and bits and bobs about my life that I hope will interest you.


Find Out More >>>>

Categories






Instagram

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Friday 27 September 2013

Snap Happy Review - Canon EOS 600D


If there is one thing I have always dreamed of owning, it's a DSLR camera. I have forever loved photography regardless of what I happen to be taking the pictures with, however we all love a clear, high quality image.

Before I would have used my iphone or my Fujifilm bridge camera - however the trouble I had with my bridge camera was getting the highest quality, sometimes it took a great image, others it looked like a grainy old mobile phone image - not ideal if you're hoping to shoot some high quality photography.


Now my dreams have been answered though as I bought my first DSLR on Tuesday; the Canon EOS 600D. In college we use the 550D and I knew the spec was very much the same, however the key difference is the swivel LCD screen - how cool does that look? It's also extremely handy when shooting self portraits or awkward angles.


The detail and contrast with the screen is great and it is quite easy to view your images after taking them, even outside - I have yet to check in good sunlight, however the advantage of living in Northern Ireland means that I rarely see the sunshine and so I may never encounter a problem of not being able to see the screen!


It's roughly the same shape, size and weight as most DSLRs so there are no issues with that element. However, some people have an issue with the feel of the Canon range, claiming it to seem too plastic and 'child-like', I don't have this problem at all; I'm not an expert photographer, but I'm also not a complete beginner so I have held my fair share of cameras and I quite like the simplicity of their products, this one included.

 
The controls are user-friendly and easy to operate and once you get to know your way around the buttons and nick-nacks you will soon be snapping images galore.


I found the 'Sport' mode particularly helpful when taking pictures of Dante, my cat, as he is a menace that knows fine rightly when you're trying to photograph him - he often looks down or ducks his head under his paw, however with this mode a continuous batch of images will be taken until you release the shutter button. Dante 0, Canon 1.




As I'm a keen film student, I wanted a camera that I knew would shoot HD video, and the 600D doesn't disappoint. As long as you have mastered the art of keeping your subject in focus, the video quality is beautiful and you can capture some stunning shots with just the push of a button.

One of the main components as to why I chose this camera was the value for money; I snapped it up for £399.95 from Currys/PC World and there was a few special offers and package deals available too. It's not the most up-to-date camera, though it is a very worthwhile product.



If you currently own a 550D and you're thinking of an upgrade, I would say to avoid this one and maybe go higher up the ladder - however for newbies and enthusiastic folk, this one is definitely a keeper!

Do you own this camera or have any thoughts? Leave a comment!

Much love,



4 comments:

  1. Congratulatilns on the new camera. You bought a good one. If you get a chance buy yourself a wee 50mm prime lens, that'll open a whole new world to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm hoping to pick up a few lenses eventually, the main issue is the price!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price is an issue alright, i'm currently saving for a 35mm F1.4, not cheap. You should be able to get a 50 for under £100 without any problems. If I remember i'll invite you to join a Facebook group I am in for buying and selling camera equipment.

      Delete
    2. Under £100 isn't too bad at all - I might look further into that! That would be fantastic, thank you - my Facebook profile is simple 'Jill Lee'. Let me know if you can't find it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...