Connect with me


Welcome!


I'm Jill, a 20 year old film and media student from Belfast, NI.

This is my corner of the internet to share my writing, creativity, designs and bits and bobs about my life that I hope will interest you.


Find Out More >>>>

Categories






Instagram

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Monday 7 October 2013

Graphic Design - Getting started by drawing on the computer.


In my spare time I like to try my hand at drawing and seeing what kind of things I can come up with, however, I have fallen out of love with putting pencil to paper and wanted to try something else.

I had never considered drawing graphics until I was working on my comic book creation unit. We drew up a comic, scanned it to Photoshop and edited it through there - this opened up a whole new world to me and led me to purchase a digital tablet to help get me started.

I bought the Wacom Bamboo Connect tablet mainly due to its reviews on being easy to use and it's budget friendly price of £40. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the tablet at this price since I bought it before summer, prices range now between £60 and £120.  I will note though that it is a very good investment.



The tablet is easy to set up and simply plugs into your computer or laptop through a USB connection - a quick installation and test run will then be your next step and after that it is all yours to play around with.

I use Photoshop CS6 and either start drawing there or else I would upload a hand drawn piece to edit on screen. I love using a digital tablet as it is so simple to erase and change elements that you don't like - eliminating the tedious job of hand erasing.

At first drawing or writing with any tablet can feel rather unnatural and tricky, however after a few practice doodles you will get the hang of it.

The Wacom tablet is great, and the touch sensitivity is neither too strong or not strong enough. There are times when tablets only need the slightest of movement to create a giant line over your piece, and then there are others that you have to drag the pen through the tablet for it to make any effect on screen. This tablet works with you, hardly any pressure is required to draw, yet you still feel as though you have control the way you would if using a pencil.


I haven't drawn extensively since I completed my GCSE art, but here are some of my examples of what can be created using the tablet:


You don't necessarily have to draw using the tablet, you can simply add handwriting to images or simple arrows to give a personal touch to anything that you think deserves it. My handwriting isn't the best for paper never-mind on screen, but here is a quick example; a simple 'Halloween' with a blood stain brush effect on one of my images from Halloween last year.

Look out for my Halloween at My House feature, coming soon.



Have you tried this tablet or are you thinking of getting one? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.

Much love,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...